Saturday 16 January 2016

Taking Stock; Three Years Later

I always thought that I would grow up to be a travel writer - explore the world, immerse myself in a culture so much different from my own and probably marry a beautiful exotic girl. While it hasn't quite played out as expected, it has most certainly been a remarkable experience.

Three years ago, this month, I said kwaheri to my employer. To say that I had enjoyed my stint there would be an understatement. I loved it! The people there were beautiful folks who are committed to their profession. With them, I felt like I was part of a family. I also  learnt so much there and I will always be grateful.

Even in the best of places, there comes a time when the feeling that one needs to move on to other things, becomes overwhelming. Just over two and a half years into my tenure, I came by an opportunity and I felt that if I needed to grow,  I could not pass it up.  I handed in my resignation and oblivious of what lay ahead, left to pursue other interests.

To be frank with you, during that period of transition, though hopeful about my future prospects, I was also mindful of the reality of what lay ahead. I like to refer to it as an ‘Obama Moment,’ that moment when you are happy on one hand but on the other, aware that you have to confront new and probably bigger challenges.

In a few days, I mark my three year anniversary, since I made that leap of faith one cold January morning. While it has certainly not been a gravy train, it has been worth it. Never in my wildest dreams would I have dreamed that I would serve in the way that I have. It has been a great blessing indeed.

Yes, I have had some bad days! Yes, I have made some mistakes! Yes, I have borne doubts, sometimes! This is true for all of us, and I am no exception. But the good days and the lessons that I take away from the last three years are some of the things that make the journey worthwhile.

I frankly do not know what the future holds. What I know is that as imperfect as I am, I have been blessed immensely. Although I fall short on so many accounts, I endevour to be a faithful servant, a good son, a loyal friend and a diligent worker.  I am indebted to a lot of people.

They say that the future is an interesting place to look back from. If I live to be as old as my Sokoro, Bonface Rioba Machera, or my Goko Catherine Mukuria, I hope that I will somehow have fulfilled my purpose here - whatever that may be. I continue to dream, to hope, to aspire to be the best I can be.

No comments: